Sunjoo Kim is a French, Korean and Australian cook on a mission to help people discover joy and ease in everyday cooking, focusing on the healing power of food. Her grandmother was an inspirational cook and taught Sunjoo how to enjoy traditional Korean dishes and flavours. Sunjoo grew up in Seoul, where a variety of Asian cuisines were available, hence Sunjoo has a broad culinary appreciation of Asian cooking.
Over 15 years ago, Sunjoo met her husband Pierre-Francis in France, and they moved to Australia to make a life together. This enabled Sunjoo to experiment with Western cuisine in her daily life, influenced by her deep grounding in Asian cuisine.
Sunjoo’s food reflects her life experience, learning and passion for healthy and delicious food developed over the different phases of her life, as a girl in Korea eagerly watching her grandmother cook, as a young IT professional in France discovering the joys of French cooking and as a loving mother in Sydney preparing nutritious food for her family.
In this episode we talk about:
- Why Sunjoo Kim created “The Remipe” business
- How she combined remedy and recipe to bring pleasure, healing and love to everyone’s kitchen
- How Remipe is simple to cook and prepare
- How she got the concept for “The Remipe”
- How she had difficulty in keeping herself healthy after giving birth and decided to change her approach to cooking
- How she’s always been a food lover
- How she’s constantly being sick and has experienced all kinds of common illnesses because of low immunity
- How she started to look after herself, created a simple healing recipe and researched high potency ingredients
- The benefits of home cooking and eating together as a family, which create a healing moment physically and emotionally
- Sunjoo Kim’s exposure to different cultures
- How having diversity is one of the biggest blessings for her and her family
- Food as a medicine and our source of energy and healing
- How her grandmother played an important role in “Remipe”
- How her children appreciate different kinds of foods
- Sunjoo Kim’s favourite food to cook
- The importance of being together and sharing
- Sunjoo Kim’s food philosophy
- Finding optimum body mass by being very sensitive to our own feelings
- Her biggest learnings from when her mum passed away
- Eating right and dealing with stress, mentally and physically
- How much the power foods affect us in fuelling our body, mind and relationships
- The importance of people’s awareness, and paying attention to which foods to eat and which to avoid
- Sunjoo Kim’s opportunity to preach about simple and healthy recipes
- The awareness of what the most important ingredient to look for is
- The right process to achieve a better outcome easily
- The importance of organising and having a little bit of creativity when preparing and cooking food out of the fridge
- The easiest recipes and healing information you can prepare through remipe.com with the help of the right technology
Sunjoo Kim’s earliest and fondest memories around food
“I grew up with my grandparents. Every evening we would have a wholesome family meal. My grandmother picked my school lunches. Whenever I opened my lunchbox, I really felt her love. When I was six, she cooked different foods for me and I felt love. They were farmers and she made this beautiful snack, “paddock”. Every four seasons I had different snacks.”
Know more about Sunjoo Kim
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
“I really like to invite everyone to my place because sharing food to me is fundamental to starting a connection. As soon as people see nice food on the table, they start to be genuinely themselves and open up.”
Last meal on the planet?
“I would just simply have really good quality bread and butter, and a simple salad. That really fulfils me.”
Where to find Sunjoo Kim