Hi Food Lovers,
I am Bec from the blog Dancing Through Sunday and I am here to share with you some amazing recipes I hope you all enjoy. I cook using only fresh ‘real’ food and made with love and I met Ronsley through this shared passion.
What’s the big idea
This recipe is more of a Spring meal, but the spring countdown is on. Asparagus is known to announce the arrival of spring so place this is a cracker to start spring in healthy style. It’s simple, fresh and can be an awesome appetiser, side dish or salad. It’s the perfect balance of healthy (lots of asparagus) and comfort (crumbed) and you can add it to a bed of rocket and make a salad with it or have it on its own with some hollandaise or dijonaise.
*side note – anything crumbed is a comfort food for me. Theres just something about crumbing!
Crumbed Asparagus Spear Salad
Serves 2 as side or 1 as main
1 bunch of asparagus, 1 egg, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp rosemary, salt, a small handful of parmesan cheese, ½ a red onion, olive oil, spinach OR rocket and greek yoghurt/dijonnaise/hollandaise sauce/aioli.
*Paper towels are also a good idea for this
- Trim and blanche asparagus (boil for 3-4 minutes until bright green then immediately remove from heat into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent over-cooking)
- Whisk the egg and pour on a plate, on another plate pour the 1 cup of breadcrumbs, rosemary, salt and half of the parmesan cheese. Mix
- Remove the asparagus spears from the water, dry off with a paper towel and get ready to crumb!
- Coat the spear of asparagus in egg, then crumbs, then egg, then crumbs (I do it twice so my crumbing is extra thick) then place them on a paper towel, ready to fry.
- Once all your spears have been crumbed, heat 1cm oil in a fry pan over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot hot hot, a few at a time, shallow fry your asparagus until the crumbs look golden brown. Turn every 30 seconds to 1 minute and when whole spear looks golden brown remove and place on a fresh paper towel. *tongs are good for this
- When all asparagus’s (asparagi?) have been fried and are sitting on the paper towel, arrange some rocket/spinach and thinly sliced red onion on a plate, top with a few spears, a grating of parmesan and a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve with greek yoghurt, dijonnaise, hollandaise sauce or aoli and enjoy!
- This was unreal. I will be making this again. It’s a very versatile dish for example; you could wrap some prosciutto around them, serve with seared chicken breast on top (for the carnivores) or a Portobello mushroom for the vegos.
Have you ever had crumbed asparagus before?
Yours in Food,