Derek Loudermilk has a Masters Degree in Microbiology, and is an accomplished scientist having discovered a new species of virus in the boiling acid hot springs of Yellowstone National Park.
Derek is a man of many talents, he is a scientist, photographer, model, former Pro cyclist and NCAA runner, blogger, business coach, and host of the truly inspiring podcast “The Art of Adventure”.
In this episode we talk about:
- Derek’s love of cycling
- Extreme microbiology and discovering a new species
- “The Art of Adventure” podcast, and reaching out to your heroes
- Science, and the decision to move away from a career as a scientist
- Life in Bali
- Wild dogs
- Trips to Australia and experiencing the wonderful The Great Barrier Reef
- Modeling, and Derek’s first modeling gig
- Working in a food lab and the craziest thing Derek has come across in the lab
- Fermented food
- High Performance Gut Microbiome: Maintaining A Healthy Gut For Athletes
- Soluble and insoluble fiber
- The science behind cycling, and working as a cycling coach
- Over coming the challenge of achieving great things with science
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
- Energy bars
- Sports drinks
- Processed foods
- Trans fats
- High fructose corn syrup
- Dried and canned fruit
- Processed meats
What foods to actively seek out
- Fermented food
- Jerusalem Artichoke
Derek’s fondest food memories
His mothers southern cooking, and eating dinner with his family every night. Sharing that time together every night, and sharing stories about their days. His father would ask each night to share one thing that they learnt that day and it instilled in his mind the importance of learning, growing, and experiencing life.
Quick Dinner Ideas
Breakfast: Using left over rice, or legumes and mixing them up in an omelette. This meal is perfect for athletes who need slow release energy to perform at their best!
Know more about Derek
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
“Tim Ferriss, at the top of the Burj Khalifa ”
Last meal on the planet?
A 7 course meal, including all of his favourite dishes, including sushi, homestyle mac and cheese, meatloaf, blueberry pie, and chocolate.
Where to find Derek