Tammy Fry Kelly is a chief of Fry’s Family Foods, and was the originator & executive of Meat Free Mondays in South Africa and Australia. Tammy has been a long lasting vegan and a competitor who spoke to South Africa for more than 10 years in the National Karate Team. After receiving her BCom (hons) in Marketing and Economics, there was only one place where Tammy could see herself working as a passionate vegetarian and that was at Fry’s. She joined the company in 2001 where she was the only marketer in the business.
Fry’s Family Foods has been a legend in South Africa for over 20 years and has been offering its solidified scope of vegetarian sustenance in Australia since 1998. Fry’s Family Foods was founded in 1991 by Wally and Debbie Fry from their kitchen in Durban, South Africa. It now supplies demand for non-meat foods in 23 countries and has recently incorporated the company in Australia – although its cultural antecedents are all in South Africa.
Tammy says we can get disillusioned by humanity. Her discussion will concentrate on how we can urge others to go along with us in our moral decisions – without judgment, without them battling us. She will discuss how to be a pioneer and motivate change. She sees that we have a basic occupation to do, and will impart her musings about how we can go about doing it viable. She is enthusiastic about demonstrating individuals that plant based living is simple, divine and above all better for the creatures, the planet on which we live and our own particular wellbeing.
In this episode we talk about:
- Learning more about Soy and other highly GMOs foods
- Understanding Organic Fruits and vegetables and non GMOs foods
- Learning more about E numbers food additive e.g., (Disodium inosinate (E631) and (E627)
- Learning more about acidity regulators, thickeners and how they fit into healthy products
- Healthy eating food packaging
- How to Meet Your Protein Needs without Meat
- Finding great high protein vegetarian options
- Learning more about healthy meat substitutes
- Figuring Out Food Labels
- Learning more about raw vegan food diet
- How to Plan Balanced Meals
- Easy Raw Vegan Meal Plans
- Understanding the natural breakdown of the food
- Learning more about Refined carbohydrate
- Learning more about Glyphosate – a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide used to kill weeds.
- Understanding Pesticide Chemical
- Learning more about animal agriculture
- Understanding more about GHG emission
- Understanding more about organic meat
- Ways to reduce wastage
- Learning more about food safety
Nutrition and Meal Plans
Do you live to eat or eat to live?
“I definitely eat to live. I eat very plain meals. I’m not a foodie person so I don’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen putting together tasty foods. We, as a family do an extra ordinary training exercise. We are very involve in sports so I trained myself to eat the foods with proper nutrition. I don’t mind what I eat, it’s all about the nutrition.”
What foods to avoid?
- Refined carbohydrate
Tammy’s fondest food memories?
When I first discover what meat was, I remember asking my father crazy question; ‘What is this?’ and he would tell me the truth because he had no problem with it. He would call it a chicken’s leg. If he called it a drumstick I would say no, and I was horrified that people would even think about eating a chicken’s leg. So I was a vegetarian from probably about the age of two, or as early as I could know what it was that I was eating.
What is your favourite Me3al?
Fries, hotdog and chips with sauce, mustard and tomatoes
- Standup paddle-boarding
Know more about Tammy
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
Last meal on the planet?
Fried veggie chicken stuffed burger
What is the best food advice you’ve ever receive?
“It’s about reducing sugar in my diet and stop using sugar whenever you can”