Dr Cris is an expert in nutritional medicine. She specialises not just in the prevention and treatment of illnesses, but in attaining optimum health.
She believes that this is achievable for anyone and passionately shares this message as a media personality and as the health consultant for The Biggest Loser Retreat on the Gold Coast, Queensland.
Even before this podcast started I made a trip to visit Dr Cris at her clinic, which she was so kind to accept. She is a lovely person and very welcoming.
Dr Cris talks about the two types of clients she deals with on a regular basis. The extremely overweight ones at the Biggest Looser Retreat, and the chronic fatigue and irritable bowl patients at her clinic.
Cris tells us about her personal journey and how when she was 18 she was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. At that stage, a heart specialist told her that she wouldn’t live to see her 40th birthday.
We talk about Nutrigenomics. Nutrigenomics is a branch of nutritional genomics and is the study of the effects of foods and food constituents on gene expression. We talk about how you can switch on and off genes depending on the kinds of foods you eat.
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
- All beige food – chips, buns, pastries
- Packet food and canned food
What foods to actively seek out
- Foods with lots of colour
- Lots of veggies
- Lots of fruit
- Lean cuts of meat
Cris’s fondest food memories
The smell of the kitchen when her mum was in it on a Sunday morning for her is such a rich and wonderful memory. Cris’ favourite meal growing up is soup. She has a variety of different soups.
Do you have a clean eating diet plan?
Yes. I eat a lot of colour plate.
Know more about Cris
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
She’d love to have a huge family dinner with everyone that’s here and gone around a big Portuguese dinner table. She’d love to have that dinner at her Grandmas home in Portugal.
Last meal on the planet?
She’d love to have her last meal at her Grandmas home around that dining table.
- Podcast Recipe 001 – Rebecca Thexton
- Podcast Recipe 002 – Sean Ackerman
- Podcast Recipe 003 – James Douglas
- Podcast Recipe 004 – Steve De La Torre
- Podcast Recipe 005 – Greg Barth
- Podcast Recipe 006 – Elroy Aguiar
- Podcast Recipe 007 – Sally Marchini
- Podcast Recipe 008 – Kyle Cullen
- Podcast Recipe 009 – Nida Kazmi
- Podcast Recipe 010 – Darya Rose
- Podcast Recipe 011 – Nathan Schokker
- Podcast Recipe 012 – Charlie Poznek
- Podcast Recipe 013 – Scott Webber
- Podcast Recipe 014 – Rey Brown
- Podcast Recipe 015 – Valerie Growth
- Podcast Recipe 016 – Adrienne Osborn
- Podcast Recipe 017 – Rhonda Layton
- The Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine – acnem.org
- List of practitioners in the US – a4m.com
- List of practitioners in Australia- a5m.net
- The No Rules Diet Book – Coming soon
- 52 habits for optimum help book – Coming soon January/February 2015
- Toxic Stress Book – Coming soon
- “Let thy food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food” – Aristotle
Where to find Dr. Cris
- Dr. Cris Beer’s Website – drcris.com.au